Kevin Reilly is a valued member of the Insightful Player® team. To be named to this team, one must be a person of integrity, such as a current or former NFL player, who shares their personal message of hope for the sole purpose of lifting the spirits of all, especially children.
Former NFL Player Kevin Reilly
Transformed Tragedy into an Inspiring, Purpose-Driven Life
If Academy Awards were given to remarkable people who transformed personal tragedy into an awe inspiring life, Insightful Player® Kevin Reilly would win with no contest.
Kevin fulfilled his dream of playing in the NFL when he was a member of the Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles, and New England Patriots. His football career came to a screeching halt after being diagnosed with cancer. From there on, Kevin’s entire life changed. Faced with the fact that he might not make it through surgery, the NFL ceased to matter to him. All he could think of was his wife and three young children. He deeply regretted the time he had spent away from them.
Thankfully his life was saved, but not before radical surgery took his left arm, five ribs, and a large portion of his left shoulder. After surviving the surgery, Kevin began to question many things: What if he couldn’t button shirts, tie his ties, or even drive a car? What kind of husband and father could he be?
Despite his fears, Kevin proved “the experts” wrong about the limitations they set for him.
- They said he wouldn’t be back to work for a very long time. Kevin was back to work in two months, establishing a successful career with Xerox and becoming a radio announcer for the Philadelphia Eagles.
- They told him he would never be able to tie his own tie and would need to use a clip on. In two months, Kevin was tying his own tie one-handed.
- They told Kevin his athletic abilities and physical capacity were severely diminished. Kevin joined the company racquetball team, competing without a handicap, and plays better golf now than he did with two arms.
- They insisted running wasn’t even a remote possibility for him. Kevin not only runs three times a week, but has completed six half-marathons and one full-marathon.
Kevin experienced additional tragedies following surgery. His 20-year marriage dissolved when his kids were in college. The combination of his Catholic faith, his strong will, and support from loved ones helped pull Kevin through.
Early in his career at Xerox, Kevin developed a habit of drinking a couple of glasses of wine after work to wind down. Shortly after the marriage broke up, the number of glasses he drank escalated. Kevin admitted to himself he had a drinking problem, joined AA, and has now been sober for 33 months.
Empathy has become a virtue for Kevin. He thrives on giving to others and joyfully volunteers his time to work with amputee soldiers at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC.
Three years ago Kevin retired from a 30-year career at Xerox to pursue a career as a motivational speaker and trainer. He inspires audiences to become relentless in finding the very best in themselves, regardless of their circumstances.
Today, Kevin is hosting the Eagles pre- and post-game radio shows. He was selected by the Eagles to be the play-by-play commentator for their 2009 exhibition pre-season games. Kevin broke a barrier by becoming the first handicapped person to host an NFL telecast. To learn more about Kevin’s inspiring life visit http://kreilly.com/
Through some extremely difficult circumstances in life, Kevin has become a realistic optimist and a tremendous role model.
Are you stuck in a pit of despair and pain because of the unfortunate circumstances in your life? The sole purpose of the Insightful Player® initiative is to lift your spirits to awe-inspiring heights. A wonderful purpose driven life can be yours in the midst of your tragedy when you make the decision to find it. There is hope in the midst of the pain. Kevin Reilly’s life is a testament to this.
Instant replay of Kevin’s Guiding principles:
- Always be grateful and content with what you have. The more grateful you are, the more you will have to be grateful for.
- Let other people support you; don’t be a Lone Ranger.
- Face your fears but don’t let them consume you.
- Find a compelling reason to have a great life, regardless of your circumstances, and make it happen.
- Follow your heart and don’t let anyone tell you what you can’t do
- Build resilience: When you fall down, get back up. You’ll be better for it.
- Show empathy to people going through tough times and always be on the lookout
- Reach out. For kids especially, when you see another kid sitting alone, show some kindness and befriend that kid. Acts of kindness such as these change lives.
- Give other people something to smile about every day, especially those days when you can’t find anything to smile about yourself.
Kevin has three happily married children, Brett, Erin and Brie, and has been blessed with several delightful grandchildren.
The Insightful Player® series is brought to you by Coach Chrissy Carew, Hall of Fame Master Certified Personal and Business Coach and Author of her newly released book, INSIGHTFUL PLAYER: Football Pros Lead A Bold Movement of Hope. Chrissy has been deeply inspired by her father, the late Coach Walter Carew, Sr. Her father is in several Halls of Fame as a high school football coach and baseball coach (as well as high school and college athlete). He used sports to help kids build strong character and teach them valuable life skills. The Insightful Player® initiative was created to help make our world a much better place by inspiring youth. To contact Chrissy Carew visit http://www.insightfulplayer.com or call 603-897-0610.
©2009 Insightful Player, LLC